sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Public Relations article

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Public Relations article
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:31:08 -0700

Quoting Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>:
> That is a pretty good article to get started, but there might be some
> other things you might consider also:
>
> Currently the SMGL project is mainly content and not much presentation.
> There is a working distro, but you really don't get that impression when
> landing och www.sourcemage.org. To make it a bit more attractive you
> might consider improving the presentation, namly logo, website etc (no
> offense meant for those who created them). If the presentation of the
> project is poor a lot of people, even developers, won't get past that
> point to the actually consider the content.

True, and I believe Oadae and thewolf were working on updating the look, but
I'm
not sure on their progress.

> The reason I bring it up is that I do marketing for a living, and it
> looks like I finally have some spare time on my hands. I'm one of those
> strange types that work as both Professional Designer and Developer, and
> my main area of expertise is branding and interaction design. If it is
> desireable I could put together a proposal for what I consider needs to
> be done to enhance the presentation of the project, and then also do
> some of the actual work :) based on your feedback.

That'd be great! :) I'm not much of a PR person so I've been kind of lost when
it comes to that and thinking of just posting to /., OSNews, etc. saying,
"Here
we are, we're awesome, come and play." (well, not quite like that ;)).

> I have considerabel experience with SMGL since I came on the train
> during the original Sorcery project. Unforunetly I have not contributed
> much historically, mainly since i have not found the time to take the
> rough edges of my spells, but maby I can do it now.

Heh, you /have/ been around for a while then. ;)

> I have a couple of servers running SMGL and will be moving them to a
> co-location facility in the coming months. The servers are tuned for
> running PHP5, MySQL (4.11), Postfix and Cyrus-imap, so if there is need
> to deploy a new website on this platform, I will donate space & bw.

Perhaps if we decide to move to the distributed layout of our sites we'll take
you up on it. ;) Or could yours host the entire distro?

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61