sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Public Relations article

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaanus Heeringson <jaanus AT heeringson.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Public Relations article
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:14:54 +0200

Eric Sandall wrote:

This[0] might be interesting for some of us. ;) Perhaps I can get SMGL on the
"radar".

That is a pretty good article to get started, but there might be some other things you might consider also:

Currently the SMGL project is mainly content and not much presentation. There is a working distro, but you really don't get that impression when landing och www.sourcemage.org. To make it a bit more attractive you might consider improving the presentation, namly logo, website etc (no offense meant for those who created them). If the presentation of the project is poor a lot of people, even developers, won't get past that point to the actually consider the content.

The reason I bring it up is that I do marketing for a living, and it looks like I finally have some spare time on my hands. I'm one of those strange types that work as both Professional Designer and Developer, and my main area of expertise is branding and interaction design. If it is desireable I could put together a proposal for what I consider needs to be done to enhance the presentation of the project, and then also do some of the actual work :) based on your feedback.

I have considerabel experience with SMGL since I came on the train during the original Sorcery project. Unforunetly I have not contributed much historically, mainly since i have not found the time to take the rough edges of my spells, but maby I can do it now.

I have a couple of servers running SMGL and will be moving them to a co-location facility in the coming months. The servers are tuned for running PHP5, MySQL (4.11), Postfix and Cyrus-imap, so if there is need to deploy a new website on this platform, I will donate space & bw.

--
MVH

Jaanus Heeringson

Underwerks Design