sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO flow and order

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Wolfgang Scheicher <worf AT sbox.tu-graz.ac.at>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO flow and order
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:54:59 +0200

Am Dienstag, 30. März 2004 16:11 schrieb Hamish Greig:
> only kernel compilation need be done after the actual install, if the user
> selected to compile the kernel (not copy). NO other compilation is needed,
> all the optional spells are cached.

Sounds fine!

> I haven't added gcc to the iso_root because a working gcc environment puts
> the size over 300MB.
> Perhaps someone later will make a truly live cd and be able to install by
> compilation with sorcery's CROSS_INSTALL, but it isn't my immediate goal.

I absolutely agree.
Actually i think the cross install doesn't yet work well enough to install
this way.

>> I think all this doesn't leave much choice, or am i missing something?
> not much choice ?
> I don't understand what you mean ?

I was refering to your original question. "Shouldn't the actual transfer to
hard-disk be done after configuring everything ?"
I mean there is not much choice in how to implement what is planned. (what to
ask the user when and in which order to do what)

And now that my system is working properly again ( had a broken gcc for > 2
weeks ) i hope to be able to do some boot cd experimenting again.

Worf