sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO flow and order

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISO flow and order
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:54:26 -0800

Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> Using the individual cache files to install has brought a question into my
> mind.
> Shouldn't the actual transfer to hard-disk be done after configuring
> everything ?
>
> Thanks to conversing with Worf who found the solution to the
> simpleinit/initrd
> problem, I have made some dirs writable during install (at a cost of ~1MB in
>
> memory) so much of the stuff that used to be done in chroot after transfer
> can now be done in the iso_root and then just copied to ${TARGET}. This also
>
> lets you use the cd as a sort of live cd if you so wish (no binutils or gcc
> on it though)
> As a result of this
> timezone
> architecture
> configure/install kernel (if compile then do after transfer to harddisk)
> networking
> configure bootloader (but not run "it" until after transfer)
> configure logger
> could all be done before the transfer, and then a single set of commands can
>
> install. Now there are 5 separate install sections needed to handle all the
> items, which makes it awkward to configure/select the optional spells now
> available for install.
> There are a set of must-install spells that won't be configurable but the
> optionals will be menu selected, and having the list of networking spells,
> fs
>
> spells, etc already chosen before offering up a menu would simplify the
> process somewhat.
>
> Anyone care to comment ?
>
> Hamish

As long as we don't remove any functionality that's used (which this doesn't
sound like it does) then any simplification is probably good. Plus it'd be
nice
to have our changes copied over in one fell swoop. ;)

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61