sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Reconfiguring the running kernel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SMGL-Discuss List <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Reconfiguring the running kernel
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 15:45:12 -0800

Quoting Ladislav Hagara <hgr AT vabo.cz>:
> The question "make oldconfig? [n]" is quite strange, there should be some
> explanation before this question.
> I am always confused when I answer it.
> It should be probably "make oldconfig ? [y]", because if I only press Enter
> it
> start to process oldconfig, linux spell probably needs some improvements.

"make oldconfig" should /never/ default to 'y', as that breaks some upgrades
(the last two updates to the 2.6 were broken this way, at least on some
boxes),
whereas running 'make menuconfig' will at least generate a sane config file,
even if all you do is save and exit at the end.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61