sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery VOYEUR default

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery VOYEUR default
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:41:42 +0100

A few of my comments below...

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 01:39:53PM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
> Quoting Vladimír Marek <vlmarek AT volny.cz>:
> > Yes, generally this is a nice idea. Two things against:
> > a) time
> > cast mozilla takes it's time, and people may start to be nervous after
> > tree hours. They can always look at `top`, but I'd rather that not be the
> "fix".
>
> Perhaps some method of letting the user know that cast is doing something? A
> spinner, perhaps?

We have a spinner function, I tried to use it once to show the progress
of the rsync updates (your feature request) but am not clear on how to
make it rotate... it just prints the slash '/' and thats it. It is not
used anywhere else so no code examples, I could use a howto.

> > b) in case of error
> > it's nice to see what actually failed
>
> `gaze compile <spell>` should show the latest log (whether it was
> successful or
> not).

Better would be to check the activity log... maybe nice to have gaze
activity and show only the cast lines? or pass 'fail' to show only the
failed stuff?

> > ad a)
> > Isn't there some way to attach to running cast (gaze voyeur or
> > something ?) which would display full log on request ?
>
> There is `gaze voyeur` (run as root) which will view the cast as it happens.

This is currently borked, not sure why yet. I was looking at it and it
assumes a certain file is set in /tmp each time a cast starts, so it
just checks for this file. The new stuff in devel has radically changed
that /tmp casting structure, so the person who did that needs to look at
what can be used in /tmp to determine the build that voyeur needs to
connect to...

That is about a good an overview as I can give for now on sorcery's
status with respects to the voyeur stuff.

erics