sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer Meeting on 2003-03-07

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer Meeting on 2003-03-07
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:11:47 -0800

Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> I waited a few days, hoping this would get more of a run for its money.
>
> Lace I agree with almost all of what you have said, but respectfully think
> you
> might be looking at this particular problem backwards.
> To adequately maintain a section a guru needs to receive the perforce
>
> notifications for that section. They need to know what has been done and by
> whom or by definition, they are not "maintaining" anything at all. Neither
> you nor I would attempt to maintain a section without this knowledge and
> neither any of our more respected developers.
> If someone offers to maintain a section but won't subscribe to these
> perforce
>
> notifications, then there application for section maintenace must be
> refused,
>
> they would be accepted as a general guru or as someone's assistant but they
> can't maintain a section without knowledge of events within that section.
> This is a common sense issue (some have it some don't) , I am definitely not
>
> trying to stop people from volunteering by smothering their freedoms or
> creativity or tangling them up in redtape.
> Volunteering to help in any section would be accepted, but without knowledge
>
> of the sections changes (via perforce notifications) the title "maintainer"
> is meaningless or empty and shouldn't be granted.

I agree. Section gurus should see /all/ changes to their section, and team
leaders should see /all/ changes in their team, and the project lead should
see
/all/ changes. If one cannot accept these terms than they should take a lower
profile job. It's not that we're trying to force people to do work, we're
saying that in order for them to be accepted to this job they /must/ accept
the
terms, otherwise they won't get the job. There are plenty of areas that can
use
help which do not require as much, but when you think about it, these
requirements are not at all high. I've been reading every change for over a
year now, and it's not too much (you don't have to read the entire change,
often just the log message is enough).

If anyone has any opinions on this, let us know and we'll talk about it, but
this is pretty much what was decided at the meeting by those in attendance.

> Hamish
> ps I will stop trying to explain things logically some day soon, old habits
> die hard for me, so despite the fact I have been burned badly and am leaving
>
> I still want the best for the project and can't sit silently.

Feedback is always welcome.

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61