sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer Meeting on 2003-03-07

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Developer Meeting on 2003-03-07
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:04:00 -0800

Quoting Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>:
> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 06:20, Eric Sandall wrote:
> ...snip...
>
> > Cauldron Lead: Hamish Greig
> > Cauldron Lead, Assistant: Wolfgang Scheicher
>
> Because Worf is interested I immediately stand down as cauldron lead. It
> seemed I was leader of one so the title has little relevance to me.
> I am putting this effort into the ISO so that it correctly reflects the
> heroic
> efforts, over the last year, of a dozen very active Grimoire gurus. My goal
> is a spell for ISO creation, a good set of docs for the spell and installer
> scripts and adding all the features developers wanted/requested, I have no
>
> long term commitment to the position.

Can we leave you as ISO Lead until we do find someone with the time and
expertise to fill it? Wolfgang doesn't have much time and he was just stepping
in for if/when you leave the ISO Team. You two could swap. ;)

> ...snip...
>
> > The Grimoire Team is also looking for a dedicated maintainer for the
> stable
> > grimoire. We would like stable to be kept up-to-date, but not broken. ;)
> > Currently there are massive updates to stable at sporadic intervals. We
> are
> > also looking for someone to maintain the z-rejected grimoire, as our two
> > current gurus have time contstraints and have requested assistance. There
> > are also several unmaintained sections for any interested in helping out
> > and learning more about writing packages.
>
> Games grimoire and display section need a replacement for me too.
>
> Also now that the sections are truly open, section guru's need to subscribe
> the perforce emails for their section, it is ridiculous to try to maintain a
>
> section if you have no knowledge of the changes.

All gurus should be subscribed to /all/ the grimoire updates as that will help
keep everyone informed of what others are doing. Same with Sorcery (not the
grimoire updates, though that'd be good, but all Sorcery changes, but I think
this already is). And I would like to see Team Leads to be subscribed to /all/
(well, minus the administrative e-mails) Perforce repositories since it is
important that our teams work together and understand what is going on in
each.

> ...snip...
>
> > The Team Leads
> > themselves will hold a meeting (anyone may come, but this is for Lead
> > discussion) bi-weekly at a to-be-determined time by all of the Leads in
> > #smgl-admin.
>
> All lead positions need to subscribe to the perforce change emails for the
> other teams. As an example, if they didn't get these reports from perforce
> they wouldn't know of the 20,000+ submissions by less than 15 people in the
> grimoire team over the last year, nor would they be aware of that list as a
> forum for open impromptu development discussion.

Just mentioned that above, though hopefully most people know how much work has
gone into SMGL as a whole (not just the Grimoire Team).

> > New versioning on the ISOs proposed to make more sense. Each monthly ISO
> > will use the date created as the version (e.g. "20030407") and ISOs which
> > meet a certain feature list will be given the standard version (e.g.
> > "1.0").
>
> I would like to continue using pre 1.0 numbering for now.
> Naming according to date (ie a snapshot) only seems relevant for post 1.0
> when
> all the features have been added and the rewrite done. Then a monthly update
>
> will only be minor bugfixes and spell updates and using the date snapshot
> nomenclature would be appropriate. For now, while I am adding and rewriting
> so much I would rather release a new version number (0.9.3 -> 0.9.9)
> everytime my work warrants it.
> If it would help people I can break up the ISO roadmap into numbered
> releases,
> rather than the all-encompassing 1.0 goals I have listed now.

That's fine for now, we figured that the new versioning scheme would make more
sense than the current one, but no sense in breaking stride now until after
1.0, though it'd be nice if we followed what was decided by those who showed
up
(even if late ;)).

> ...snip...
> >
> > New roadmaps will use a list of features as an indicater of when to
> release
> > and not solid dates, as we tend to not make them (volunteers only have so
> > much time). We should still have some form of a timeline to encourage
> > progress, but how we are to do that is yet to be decided.
>
> I think this agrees with what I have just said about ISO naming?

Pretty much, yes.

> > Sorcery 1.9 is going to be released after the "real" bugs (not feature
> > requests/enhancements) in devel Sorcery are fixed.
>
> Are the status of these bugs open to discussion ? I found previously that
> many
> bugs were moved into feature request/enhancement category, but it was not
> possible to discuss their status or their importance and have them
> reassessed.

Everything is open to discussion, however, the Team Leads usually have reasons
for the decisions they make, but it's always welcome to provide constructive
questioning on the appropriate mailing list. If anyone has reservations,
questions, or any comments about anything we do or say, let us know, either
privately or publicly (preferred, unless it's vulgar or personal ;)) as SMGL
was founded on openness and working together, the opposite of where we
started.

> ...snip...
>
> Hamish

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61