sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] can't build xfree86-devel

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: c_mertes AT t-online.de (Christian Mertes)
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] can't build xfree86-devel
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 18:31:55 +0100

Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us> wrote:

> Quoting Christian Mertes <c_mertes AT t-online.de>:
> > xfree86-devel should
> > be the latest version available, xfree86 the latest stable
> > IMHO. Like this I have to check for a newer xfree86-devel
> > all the time manually :/
>
> This is just because the stable version of X that is released
> /is/ newer than the devel version (unless you want CVS...) as
> there aren't any (IIRC) patches to update 4.4 to anything
> newer from XFree86.Org.

I know :)

> > P.S.: The linux spell works this way: Selecting "latest
> > prepatched kernel" gives you the latest kernel, even if
> > there's no "pre" in its name. Makes a lot of sense to me :)
>
> If you want to modify the xfree86 spell to support multiple
> versions we may accept the patch to merge them (though keeping
> xfree86 and xfree86-libs separate, probably), though that's up
> to if others feel it'd be okay and after we've verified the
> patch works.

That's not my point. I'm fine with two spells for stable and
devel X. It's just that the "devel" linux changes to stable,
too, when stable is newer than the prepatch versions. It didn't
some time ago IIRC and I really appreciate it does so now. I
just wanted to suggest the X spells to adopt this philosophy
(devel is the newest X available, unless you want CVS and
stable, well it's the latest stable). There's no point in using
an old unstable version when you can have a new stable one, is
there?

Regards,

Christian

--
| Christian Mertes aka mudd1 | ... |c_mertes AT bigfoot.de| \ / CAMPAIGN
IN
-mudd1 AT jabber.org-----------ooO--(_)--Ooo-------| |--------- / \ MAIL AND NEWS