sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] udev on /dev HOWTO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] udev on /dev HOWTO
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:23:40 +0100

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 12:13:01PM +1100, Hamish Greig wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 05:21, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> > - you need to have at least your root device, /dev/console and /dev/null
> >   in your static devices, this is definitely true for all older systems,
> >   but i'm not sure about systems that were installed after our devfs on
> >   /dev switch (anyone knows if those have a complete static /dev under
> >   the devfs mount?).
> >   basically if you can boot with 'devfs=nomount init=/bin/bash' kernel
> >   parameters then you should be able to boot with the udev setup.
>
> /dev has been completely empty since 0.7.1 ISO, it relies 100% on devfs
> mounting at boot.
> If this will be a long term problem let me know, I could install a MAKEDEV
> script to /dev and populate /dev with static devices during the
> installation,
> or just create the minimal devices needed ?

I think the install should create a full static /dev, not everyone wants
to use devfs, and udev is probably not yet ready for everyone (last
count i've seen of device drivers that aren't sysfs enabled and thus not
available to udev is 162).
The minimum that's needed for init to work is /dev/console afaik, but it
may need some more, i'll probably do some tests.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video