sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] udev on /dev HOWTO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] udev on /dev HOWTO
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:21:43 +0100

Hi,

I spent the day on getting udev on /dev up and running fine instead of
learning for an exam, so here's what i came up with :)
Some notes in advance:
- udev relies on all device drivers registering correctly with sysfs,
that's not yet true for everything.
for me the only missing device is /dev/ppp, which i create in my adsl
startup script using mknod, ymmv
- all of this has only been tested on one system, it's not a fully
automatic conversion and it comes with no warranty, don't try it if
you don't feel confident you're able to recover from an init system
screwup
- if i didn't screw up something in my logic the new spells i attach
should work for all three setups: udev on /dev, devfs on /dev, static
/dev with devfs on /devices
- you need to have at least your root device, /dev/console and /dev/null
in your static devices, this is definitely true for all older systems,
but i'm not sure about systems that were installed after our devfs on
/dev switch (anyone knows if those have a complete static /dev under
the devfs mount?).
basically if you can boot with 'devfs=nomount init=/bin/bash' kernel
parameters then you should be able to boot with the udev setup.

attached is a readme that explains how to do the switch (i hope i didn't
forget something important) and the three modified spells needed for it.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video

HOWTO use udev to manage /dev:
0. install a 2.6 kernel :)
1. make sure you have the following options supported in your kernel:
- CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
- CONFIG_RAMFS=y
- CONFIG_PROC_FS=y
2. mkdir /sys
3. install the new spells in the following order:
- init.d
- udev (make sure to say yes whether you want udev to be the default
provider
for devices)
- simpleinit-msb
4. edit your /etc/fstab, /etc/securettys to use classic device names like
/dev/tty[1-6], /dev/hda1, ...
5. change your lilo.conf/grub.conf to use 'devfs=nomount' kernel parameter and
the classic name of your root device, e.g 'root=/dev/hda1'
6. reboot