sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] wget (summon) problem

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] wget (summon) problem
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:02:47 +1100

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 02:45, Treeve Jelbert wrote:
> I recently converted to linux-2.6.3, rebuilt glibc with nptl support and
> recompiled some programs, including wget and bash.
>

> Most things are OK, but if I try to summon gcc-3.3.3, a big file, it
> downloads about 2MB, and then everything freezes solid. No mouse or
> keyboard reaction. I have to use the reset button.
>

> Can anyone think of something that I might have forgotten, apart from
> rebuilding all of qt-x11 and kde*.?
>

> Regards, Treeve

the only problems I have had is with openGL since 2.6.0 with NVIDIA's drivers.
I was experiencing problems, but with the latest driver and kernel version
the
intermittment refresh/input problems are gone and I get a solid lock up about
5- 10 seconds after starting any openGL app. The mouse still moves around the
screen but the screen is striped and neither keyboard or mouse button input
is honoured.
I have even had to turn off even kde's opengl screensavers. It seems any GL
app causes this. (not related to glibc-kernel-headers spell, I rebuilt once
agaist vanilla includes to test this and still same problem).
I haven't tried downgrading the NVIDIA_driver version, it has been months
since I played a game, so it was easier to stop using openGL and continue
with my non openGL work.

Hamish