sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] installation of SM

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jason AT flattfamily.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] installation of SM
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 10:40:51 -0800

On Thursday 22 January 2004 10:14 am, S. Barret Dolph wrote:
> Just to see if I could do it I installed Gentoo yesterday. Well, maybe I am
> stubborn but i want to install SM. Last time I got Lilo going but ran into
> this problem.
>
> prompt I get ds: no socket dirivers loaded!
> pcmcia: Loading pcmcia modules:pcmcia_core.
> pcmcia: failure
>

> Furthermore. I couldn't get rp-pppoe going. This ran fine under Gentoo.
> I got the following error.
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd: in file /etc/ppp/peers/isp = unregnized option 'dev modem'
>
> As per a post on the forum I checked etc/ppp/peers/isp where it says to
> change dev modem to /dev/modem
>
> it is already /dev/modem

I have been following your mail list and forum messages for the last week or
so. Unfortunately, the problems you are having involve hardware that I have
no experience in (SCSI devices, PCMCIA cards and ADSL). It seems to me that
it is possible that they /could/ be solved by recompiling the supplied kernel
(don't upgrade to a newer version until you have confirmed Internet access).

For me the easiest way to get around these sorts of hardware troubles is to
locate the relevant section in the kernel, choose any driver that might even
be possibly related to the hardware in question, and compile it into the
kernel (rather than compiling them as modules). Then I reboot and
investigate to see if the hardware works, and if so, which drivers and/or
additional software made it work, then I remove the extra drivers from the
kernel, and optionally, recompile the working driver as a module.

It's kind of a shotgun approach to the situation, but it works for me, and it
might help you solve your problems.

--
Jason Flatt (jason @ flattfamily . com)
Father of five (http://www.flattfamily.com/)