sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] installation of SM

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jose Bernardo Silva" <jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] installation of SM
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:32:50 +0000

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 02:14:46 +0800, S. Barret Dolph wrote
> Just to see if I could do it I installed Gentoo yesterday. Well,
> maybe I am stubborn but i want to install SM. Last time I got Lilo
> going but ran into this problem.
>
> prompt I get ds: no socket dirivers loaded!
> pcmcia: Loading pcmcia modules:pcmcia_core.
> pcmcia: failure
>
> Furthermore. I couldn't get rp-pppoe going. This ran fine under
> Gentoo. I got the following error.
>
> /usr/sbin/pppd: in file /etc/ppp/peers/isp = unregnized option 'dev
> modem'
>
> As per a post on the forum I checked etc/ppp/peers/isp where it says
> to change dev modem to /dev/modem
>
> it is already /dev/modem

It seems like you ran into two problems there. The first, is that you don't
have pcmcia-cs support compiled into your kernel. That one is simple to solve,
just do a "cast -c linux" and answer "y" when you're asked if you want to
reconfigure your kernel. On the dialog that shows after that, just do a save
and when the linux config menu shows, choose the pcmcia drivers and how you'd
want them, as modules or compiled into the kernel. Exit and save, and let the
spell finish.
The second problem is worst - it seems you don't have re-pppoe source. I don't
know if it's in the ISO (can't check now, I'm at work), but you need to
download it - the line "/usr/bin/pppd..." shows because sorcery is trying to
download the source of rp-pppoe and can't find any network interface, so it
tries to download it using the modem. So, if you can, download the source for
the rp-pppoe version you're tryng to install (a "gaze version rp-pppoe" should
show which version it is), copy it to /var/spool/sorcery, and try again.
Good luck!

---
Jose Bernardo B R Silva | Source Mage GNU/Linux Section Guru
jbernardo AT sourcemage.org | http://www.sourcemage.org
http://counter.li.org #245602
http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/jose.bernardo
jbs AT bandos.homelinux.com