sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] ISOs, cloop and hardware detection

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: evraire AT tuwg.com
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] ISOs, cloop and hardware detection
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 01:31:56 -0000

Hi,
I'm looking into creating a SourceMage-based LiveCD. The target for my
first attempt is to create a CD that boots into xfce4 on my particular
system, but eventually I would like to be able to build something like
Knoppix. I plan to document my trials and, if successful (and people seem
interested), maybe put up a HOWTO on the wiki.

To get more stuff on the CD, Knoppix uses cloop, a compressed filesystem.
They also have a special auto-hardware detection utility. However, it's
Debian-based and as such I'm not certain it would work under SourceMage. I'm
wondering if any of you have any experience using either cloop or Knoppix'
auto-configurator (in particular on a boot CD) and would be willing to share
your experience?

I think a SourceMage LiveCD could prove useful in allowing users of other
distributions/operating systems to try out SourceMage without affecting their
system. It could also possibly open doors for our installer ISO, such as a
graphical installation or having more utilities on the CD without increasing
it's size (via cloop).

Anyway, wish me luck! :)

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com

Message sent via http://toad-mail.net
Anti-spam notice, this message originated from IP Address: 66.131.185.248