sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] ISOs, cloop and hardware detection

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Schabell M.Sc." <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] ISOs, cloop and hardware detection
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:53:46 +0000

> > I'm looking into creating a SourceMage-based LiveCD. The target for my
> > first attempt is to create a CD that boots into xfce4 on my particular
> > system, but eventually I would like to be able to build something like
> > Knoppix. I plan to document my trials and, if successful (and people seem
> > interested), maybe put up a HOWTO on the wiki.
>
> I would like to see splinter projects like this properly coordinated, our
> cauldron/ISO team would benefit from any work done here.

As would I... I think you should use the wiki from the beginning, even if it
is
only a scratch pad for your work.... at least we know it will be available for
future use.

> > To get more stuff on the CD, Knoppix uses cloop, a compressed
> filesystem.
> > They also have a special auto-hardware detection utility. However, it's
> > Debian-based and as such I'm not certain it would work under SourceMage.
> > I'm wondering if any of you have any experience using either cloop or
> > Knoppix' auto-configurator (in particular on a boot CD) and would be
> > willing to share your experience?
>
> The Cauldron Team has been working on integrating the knoppix hardware
> detection for 6 months, contact Team Lead for their status.

Why are you not becoming then part of our Cauldron Team and taking on this
task?
Why do it alone? Step up to the plate and lead on, we will follow! ;-)

/*
* Eric Schabell M.Sc.
* web: http://www.schabell.com
* SourceMage: http://www.sourcemage.org