sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] X and Inet6

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] X and Inet6
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:43:40 -0700

Quoting "\"Jimmy Yen(顏孝杰)\"" <jimmy AT yen.tp>:
> Eric Sandall wrote:
>
> >Quoting Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>:
> >

> >>I also have this problem now, and have IPV6 enabled (as a module) in 2.6
> and
> >>
> >>have recompiled net-tools to have IPV6 enabled, but I still receive this
>
> >>error. Do you have the modules loaded? Are they compiled into the
> >>kernel?
>
> >>Does XFree86 require anything else?
> >>

> I believe the only thing I did was compiling IPv6 into the kernel, and
> enabled IPv6 in net-tools. I'm not entirely sure, but the problem seems
> to be showing up only after I upgraded to xfree86 4.3.99.
> >>
> >>I'll keep trying, but hoping your answer will help.
> >>
> >>-sandalle
> >>

> >Well, if I add ipv6 (# modprobe -v ipv6), I get a different error:
> >(this is as any user, including the current user of the X window)
> >
> >xhost: unable to open display "localhost:0.0"
> >Unable to connect to display localhost:0.0
> >/tmp/.tuxnwnsetup/setup.run: line 44: 1320 Segmentation fault
> >/tmp/tuxsetup $PWD
> >xhost: unable to open display "localhost:0.0"
> >

> What happens if you issue an xhost +? I'm just guessing because I don't
> play NWN, but is it only NWN that's borken?
>
> >Before, I received this error, so it is, somewhat, an improvement:
> >_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
> >_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for tcp
> >_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/localhost:0
> >xhost: unable to open display "localhost:0.0"
> >_X11TransSocketOpen: socket() failed for tcp
> >_X11TransSocketOpenCOTSClient: Unable to open socket for tcp
> >_X11TransOpen: transport open failed for tcp/localhost:0
> >Unable to connect to display localhost:0.0
> >
> >-sandalle

I fixed this on one of my machines by loading the ipv6 module (after
recompiling
net-tools to have IPv6 support and rebooting), but the other machine continued
to have this problem, which I fixed by editing their script to not use
'localhost:0.0' but just ':0'. I had also tried 'xhost +' to disable
authentication, but that didn't fix it, not even xterm would connect. I
think I
may have some strange setting somewhere, but I'm not sure yet. That's what I
get for using a devel version of xfree86 and the kernel. ;)

Thanks for the help! ;)

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61