sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] X problem with new setup

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] X problem with new setup
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:17:20 +0200

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:08:06AM +1200, Robin wrote:
> Hey, I finally rebooted into my new configuration (which was a bad idea,
> being as it was not long before I was leaving town for the weekend),
> spent a couple of hours battling with LILO, finally got that fixed (it
> wouldn't work with /dev/hdx references, and the Mandrake rescue CD
> doesn't have devfs (or I was doing it wrong) so I couldn't mount that to
> make it work. Eventually fixed it by booting from my old Mandrake HDD
> and fixing LILO from there)
>
> anyway, the current problem is that I can't start KDM, it says:
> Sep 8 10:53:58 kallisti kdm[1994]: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
> Sep 8 10:53:58 kallisti kdm[1964]: Display :0 cannot be opened
> ...and after a few attempts, drops me back to the console. Hmm, I think
> I may have cottoned on to this while writing this email...I'll finish it
> for the benefit of others :)
>
> My old mouse device was at /dev/mouse, the new one is /dev/misc/psaux.
> (changing what the xserver thinks about this now...) changing that
> appeared to fix it. I'm wondering if perhaps there should be a central
> place for things like mouse info so that devfs can put the appropriate
> links in, and gpm and X don't fall over?
>
> Hmm it also says that the sound device perms are wrong. Though I think I
> saw a list message about that a while ago...
>
> --
> Robin <robin AT kallisti.net.nz> JabberID: <eythian AT jabber.org>
>
> Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?
>
> PGP Key 0x776DB663 Fingerprint=DD10 5C62 1E29 A385 9866 0853 CD38 E07A 776D
> B663

I added a page to the wiki recently:
http://wiki.sourcemage.org/index.php?page=HOWTO-devfsd+setup

This should resolve your sound issues, if it doesn't just write to the
list or ask me on irc, i've become quite good with devfsd setup :)

The devfsd should probably install a better default config to make it
easier to switch, but designing such a default config isn't really easy,
many things depend on the actual hardware setup.

--
Arwed v. Merkatz
Grimoire Guru for video