sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] X problem with new setup

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Robin <robin AT kallisti.net.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] X problem with new setup
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 11:08:06 +1200

Hey, I finally rebooted into my new configuration (which was a bad idea,
being as it was not long before I was leaving town for the weekend),
spent a couple of hours battling with LILO, finally got that fixed (it
wouldn't work with /dev/hdx references, and the Mandrake rescue CD
doesn't have devfs (or I was doing it wrong) so I couldn't mount that to
make it work. Eventually fixed it by booting from my old Mandrake HDD
and fixing LILO from there)

anyway, the current problem is that I can't start KDM, it says:
Sep 8 10:53:58 kallisti kdm[1994]: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
Sep 8 10:53:58 kallisti kdm[1964]: Display :0 cannot be opened
...and after a few attempts, drops me back to the console. Hmm, I think
I may have cottoned on to this while writing this email...I'll finish it
for the benefit of others :)

My old mouse device was at /dev/mouse, the new one is /dev/misc/psaux.
(changing what the xserver thinks about this now...) changing that
appeared to fix it. I'm wondering if perhaps there should be a central
place for things like mouse info so that devfs can put the appropriate
links in, and gpm and X don't fall over?

Hmm it also says that the sound device perms are wrong. Though I think I
saw a list message about that a while ago...

--
Robin <robin AT kallisti.net.nz> JabberID: <eythian AT jabber.org>

Hostes alienigeni me abduxerunt. Qui annus est?

PGP Key 0x776DB663 Fingerprint=DD10 5C62 1E29 A385 9866 0853 CD38 E07A 776D
B663