sm-discuss - RE: [SM-Discuss] [cauldron] tasks for team

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [SM-Discuss] [cauldron] tasks for team
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:01:07 +0200

On 19/06/03 21.38, Casey Harkins wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Damien Mascord wrote:
> > Hi Casey,
> >
> > While you are playing with netconf, do you think it might be a good idea
> > to consider ipv6?
> >
> > Currently the RedHat configuration scripts for this are horrendous, and
> > don't work too well [adding strange routes etc etc]. Manual
> > configuration for ipv6 work using iproute2, though having this
> > integrated with the ipv4 configuration, it would be a god send.

Count me among the people interested in good ipv6 support. I'm not
hooked up right now, but if we get some good scripts going, I'll be
happy to give them a try.

> > If you want further information, and/or information about ipv6 and how
> > it all works etc etc, I'd be happy to help get this part of it up and
> > running (as I'd imagine it would be useful to others to).
> >
> > Damien
[snip]

> Sounds like a good idea, but I have no experience with ipv6. If you could
> give me a run down on how things are configured (and/or point me to a
> decent overview somewhere) I'll take a stab at it. The networking.sh
> init.d script will need to be updated as well (obviously).

It's a hack, and not a pretty one at that, but for reference I'm
attaching the networking.sh and .dev files I came up with while
playing around with ipv6[1].

Also note that the eth1.dev is intended to be a pccard (i.e. not
always available), so that should be brought up by the hotpluging
subsystem, not networking.sh. Something like that[2] would be really nice
when using a notebook with SMGL.

And just one more thing I want to bring up, now that networking is on
the table: ifplugd
(http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/ifplugd/). The
concept of having the network come up and down automagically is just
too cool to not consider.

/dossen

[1]: That was why I wrote up spells for stuff like ping6 and friends.

[2]: And I don't mind at all if it looks prettier than what I did.
--
"Nuclear war can ruin your whole compile."
-- Karl Lehenbauer