sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] New grimoires available!

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: "Source Mage - Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] New grimoires available!
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 08:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy all! (no, I'm not from the south)

Just your friendly (sic) Grimoire Lead here to tout his horn. We have
completed the first step in reorganizing the grimoire into a more
compartmentalized entity. The non-essential (to some) sections of games
and z-rejected have been completely removed from the main grimoire (devel
through stable) and are now their own, separate grimoires with sections.

If you would like to have your games back (or applications from
z-rejected, but why would you use non-OSS software? ;)), then you may add
them just as you do the normal grimoire:

# scribe add <grimoire>

This will pull <grimoire> from
http://codex.sourcemage.org/<grimoire>.tar.bz2 and prepend it to your
/etc/sorcery/local/grimoire file. Our next ISO release will also be
devoid of these two sections as they are not necessary to setup a server,
but they can easily be added to any box as mentioned above.

Thanks to the games and z-rejected gurus (Hamish Greig and Jose Bernardo
Silva), for helping us (well, they did most of the work ;)) as well as
Tony and Schabell for setting up the repositories and
codex.sourcemage.org, respectively, along with everyone whom gave
feedback.

Now that we know we can do this, there can be further splits, if needed,
though I have none seen at the moment that I think we should try, it has
been suggested that we make each section it's own grimoire.

Next up we have the splitting of gnome into various sections to help
separate apps from libs, and gnome 1.x versions from gnome 2.x. This will
be another trial run to see how things go. One way to handle this would
be as mentioned previously: put each section as it's own grimoire. Then
we could have gnome/apps, gnome/libs, gnome/games (perhaps, or should
these go into the games grimoire?), gnome-applets, etc. Perhaps having
separate grimoires for gnome1 and gnome2?

The other way is to split into gnome1-apps, gnome1-libs, etc. and not move
gnome into a separate grimoire.

Please, thoughtfull comments are welcome,

-sandalle

--
PGP Key Fingerprint: FCFF 26A1 BE21 08F4 BB91 FAED 1D7B 7D74 A8EF DD61
http://search.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xA8EFDD61