sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] XMMS sound problems

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Adam Clark <adamsgl AT dhbit.ca>
  • To: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] XMMS sound problems
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 10:40:21 -0800

Hey Eric,

Is this happening every time you start xmms, or only when start xmms after a
fresh start of X, or starting xmms after a fresh reboot?

My guess is that the mixer is being reset to quiet after/during one of the
situations above. If you're in a desktop environment like KDE, you may want
to set a good default mixer setup in kde's mixer and set KDE's mixer to
"Save Current Volumes as Default". That, at least, would setup the volumes
properly when X/KDE is started.

There's also the alsa tools which will allow you to save an alsa settings
file for mixer volumes the way you like, and this would automatically
restore the mixer settings next time /etc/init.d/alsa(sound?) is started.

I recently pulled alsa off my systems because of certain versions compile
issues were driving me nuts, which is why I'm a little sketchy on the
alsa-specific details at the moment. =)

Anyhoo, hope something there helps.