sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] timing compiles

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Jimmy Yen(???)" <root AT yhjworks.com>
  • To: Jack Bertram <jack AT jbertram.net>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] timing compiles
  • Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 15:43:17 +0800

It's always a good thing to have a general idea of how long the compilation of a spell will take, but I think it could be hard to realize locally. How do you time spells that have interactive installation scripts (e.g. flash)? What if you change your compile settings later? What if you change a part of your hardware configuration later? What if you do other things when compiling a spell? And, most importantly, what's the point to know the accurate compilation time of a spell that you have already cast? The compilation time of the upgraded spell will certainly vary.

I think a compilation database becomes most (and maybe only) useful when you are compiling a spell which hasn't been cast before, so you want a rough idea of how long it's going to take. All of us who have ever cast glibc, mozilla, or j2sdk already know very well about how many hours they roughly take, and the exact time isn't very important. So I think a centralized database stored in the grimoire is a better choice, though maintaining it would be costy. We can use a reference machine with a reference configuration to compile every spell, so that everyone can have a rough idea about the compilation time by comparing the hardware configurations of his machine and the reference one *before* casting a spell. Because we only need a rough estimation, even a single reference machine isn't really needed. Spellwriters can simply include the compiation time on their own machines along with their hardware configurations (actually, just the CPU model is accurate enough,) and that won't be very hard to realize.

haoto

Jack Bertram wrote:

It's just occurred to me that it would be quite interesting to have an
idea (before casting a spell) of how long it's going to take to cast.
Now, it seems unrealistic to maintain this centrally since everyone
compiles on different machines. However, there's no reason why sorcery
couldn't time each compile on a local machine and store the elapsed time
in a database. Then I'd have a good idea of how long it took to upgrade
a spell:
Something like:

$ gaze time glibc

glibc compile time:
version time (s)
2.2.6 89241
2.3.1 91324

Then I could expect a new compile to take just over a day.

Thoughts?

jack