sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Re: [Omniprint-user] espgs-7.05.5(omni-0.7.1): could not load libomni.so

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: John T Copeland <johnc AT neto.com>
  • To: Mark Hamzy <hamzy AT us.ibm.com>
  • Cc: omniprint-user AT lists.sourceforge.net, omniprint-user-admin AT lists.sourceforge.net, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Re: [Omniprint-user] espgs-7.05.5(omni-0.7.1): could not load libomni.so
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 10:14:00 -0600

Mark Hamzy wrote:

Hi John,

I am getting this error in my Linux distribution, Source Mage, a source
based distro. I noted your message in the list about this being an
error you fixed in espgs and stored the fix at the omni download page,
the file being: ghostscript-7.05-15omni.i386.rpm. This fixed the error
for one of the users.

I have found a couple of scenarios that can cause that error. The first
is the lack of libstdc++ compiled into ghostscript and the second is
omni changed function naming (removing C++ name mangling).

I am currently working on some backwards compatibility for that scenario.
Omni's CVS has that checked in.

My problem is my system is source based(not binary), so the library
would need to be compiled along with espgs. We currently get the source
from www.easysw.com's ftp site. My questions:
1) Does the error in espgs cause the library to not be compiled and
installed? Or is there a special option in configure to compile the
library? I get the following line in my configuration output:
"checking if Omni support can be compiled in... yes"

Actually, espgs and omni are two separate projects. In the latest version
of espgs, it only checks for glib support for that message. Earlier
versions checked for a link to omni source as well.

So, one would first build espgs and then build omni.

2) If so, is there a source patch?
3) If so, can we get the patch?

No. I would recommend that you check out the latest CVS of both projects.

4) Will we need(have) to wait for espgs-7.xx.x(we use 7.05.5)?

Only the current epsgs CVS will work for both 7.3 and 8.0 RedHat systems.

5) Finally, am I off base here? An if so would you please give me
directions?

A command, "gs --help" shows an omni device.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Take a look at the Linux Omni Printer Driver Framework at
http://www.ibm.com/linux/ltc/projects/omni/

Thanks Mark.

The above helps some, but I am not exactly sure how to proceed yet.

1)Does the build of the Omni Project build the libomni.so library(a shared library I presume)? The library is not currently resident on my system, so I got to build it somehow. The library missing could be my problem. I created dummy libomni.so's in /lib and /usr/lib to see if I would get a different error, but I get the same error, indicating(maybe) that I need the fixes which are in CVS and the tarball on the omni download site?
2)The Omni function compiled into espgs is just an interface to the libomni.so library?
3)Our system, in general does not use the CVS's for standard installation, but rather source(not binary or rpm's)tarballs. I don't know how to use a CVS in any case(guess I could learn tho).
4)You say the latest CVS for both projects has the latest fix you alluded to, so I presume the fixes will show up in espgs 7.05.6 or later?

Can you help any here Jason(Jason is our printer guru in SourceMage)?

Thanks,
JohnC