sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] How to configure X?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Pierre Abbat <phma AT webjockey.net>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] How to configure X?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 02:02:22 -0600 (CST)

Could you send the output from XFree86 -configure? Perhaps it is detecting
the actual video card, but the framebuffer kernel module is causing some
problem. Does the command still write out an XF86Config file?

If so, the correct driver to use in the Screen section is "fbdev". I had
problems with the mode line stuff when using the framebuffer driver
(screen was not positioned correctly). Using 'fbset -x" will give you
*mostly* correct mode line settings for using X with the framebuffer
driver. The fbset utility is available in the fbset spell.

Hope this helps!

-casey