sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Compiling xfree86 with gcc2
  • Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 16:54:45 +1300

Hi,
Last week I brought up an issue about compiling xfree86 using gcc3. I think it was decided that xfree86 was to be compiled using gcc2. Is this true?

Then to compile xfree86 using gcc2 I needed to create /var/lib/sorcery/codex/test/x11/xfree/USEGCC2. I did so but the compilation still fails because cast is trying to use gcc3 optimization flags with gcc2. I had done a sorcery update-system before this. I also mentioned that the optimization flags were repeated when compiling xfree86 using gcc3. The only way I could get xfree86 to compile using gcc2 with the correct optimization flags was to modify the /var/lib/archspecs/ia32/intel/pentium4 file to only have "march=i686"

I THINK the problem has to do with the CONFIGURE script for xfree86, specifically the "generate_host_def" function. Where it generates the host.def file to include the optimization flags using $CFLAGS. But I have a feeling it doesn't take the USEGCC2 into account when it generates the file and uses the gcc3 optimization flags. So host.def has set the gcc3 flags even though it is using gcc2 and cast is setting the gcc2 optimization flags, I think this explains the repeated optimization flags.

I hope I am correct.

I am still trying to iron out some other issues with installing SGML beta2. I will report these once I have understood them some more.

Regards, Duane.