sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Beta2 install problems, esp. xfree86

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Beta2 install problems, esp. xfree86
  • Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:48:07 +1300

Hi
I've been using Sorcerer since November 2001 and have been using the same ISO from 2001. When the beta2 iso was release I tried to upgrade my system but had a number of issue.

To date I have I have managed to install SGML beta2 and rebuild it (with only 3 problems left)

Install problems: I tried to install XFS with the kernel, the kernel would be patched but the kernel compilation would fail at random places. At first I would remove the module that caused the compile problem but it would fail somewhere else. So in the end I compiled the kernel with the same configuration twice and found they failed at different places. Finally I found that if I didn't compile XFS I was fine. Now I'm using ext3.

Rebuild problems:
xfsprogs - can't find source version 2.2.2 - understandable, I couldn't either. Didn't need it since I couldn't install XFS in the kernel.
ncurse - I understand this has been discussed - I will look through the previous posts and fix it
bzip2 - not sure why, will look into it.

But my biggest problem, the one that annoys me and the only one I can't start using beta2, is installing xfree86. It has a problem compiling 'mipmap.c'. I have searched the web for this issue, I have downloaded the xfree86 source again and I tried to compile it after my lastest rebuild, all with no luck. I did attempt to compile it using gcc2 but I don't know how to set xfree86 to be compiled with gcc2, can someone help me here? Unfortunately, I am unable to get the compile log to my working computer, I'll write down the error and post it if needed. I am really posting this to see if anyone else has had problems or if anyone could help.

I did reset my system setting in sorcery configuration after installing beta2.

Also just a question, are we able to get a xdelta patch between iso releases?, I have a 56k modem.

My system is: Asus P4S333-VM motherboard, P4 1.4GHz CPU, 750MB RAM, 80GB HD, Asus V8170 Graphics card.

Regards, Duane.