sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Beta2 install problems, esp. xfree86

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Dufflebunk <dufflebunk AT dufflebunk.homeip.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Beta2 install problems, esp. xfree86
  • Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:05:17 +1300

Hi,

Thanks for the help. I have had moderate success.

Re: random errors in compilation, I did suspect the swap space wasn't been mounted correctly but I didn't suspect the ram. I used memtest, you are right it's a "sweet program". Thanks to you my system is now a P4 1.4GHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HD. I'm not sure if the 512MB stick is bad or if my motherboard can't handle PC2700 RAM. I'm taking it back to the shop today.

Got the system-update and rebuild to work OK apart from xfsprogs (no source), glibc (caught in a loop) and bzip2 (not sure).

XFREE86 - what I have found.
It still did not compile under gcc3.2. The error is below.
I created a USEGCC2 file in xfree86 codex. But on compilation it used the flags for gcc3.2 i.e. -march=pentium4 etc..., which caused problems. I changed the defaultgcc2 flags in local/host.def file and it still uses gcc3 flags. I had to change the flags in a "pentium4" file under the var tree (I think it was in a archtype folder) for it to start compiling. USEGCC2 didn't seem to pick up the gcc2 flags nor read the host.def file I keep saving. Another perculiarity was that in the gcc3 compilation of xfree86 I noticed the gcc3 flags were repeated. Anyway I got xfree86 to compile using gcc2.

The error from gcc3 was:
mipmap.c: In function 'halveDimage_float':
mipmap.c: 1270: unable to find a register to spill in class 'FLOAT_REGS'
mipmap.c: 1270: this is the insn: (insn 111 109 114 (set (subreg:SF (reg /v:DI 22 rxmm1 [73]) 0) (float : SF (reg:DI 0 rax [89]))) 170 {*floatdisf2_i387_only}(insn_list 108 (nil))
(expr_list : REG_DEAD (reg:DI 0 rax [89])
(nil))
mipmap.c: 1270: confused by earlier errors, bailing out.

Not being a c/c++ programmer I'm lost.

Again thanks for your help, sorry I have no spare RAM to lend it's broken, I did notice some kernel patch someone was writing to boot with Badram. But this ram is one month old so I'm returning it. Hopefully we can get this problem fixed, I am happy to do some debugging/testing of the iso's if need be.

Regards,
Duane.

Dufflebunk wrote:

Hello