sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Mozilla / Java Plugin - vote for the bug

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Sergey A Lipnevich <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • Cc: "M.L." <mlubrano AT sourcemage.org>, <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Mozilla / Java Plugin - vote for the bug
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:49:54 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Sergey A Lipnevich wrote:

> Which VM was it for Sun's SDK, server or client (default)?

It was the client vm. We are using it for internal contact
management/salesforce automation software. Pretty much a database client
(using jdbc) which ties into OpenOffice via their Java sdk. Interface is
all Swing based.

Aside from the interface seeming a little more responsive with IBM's JVM,
the real issues were in the OpenOffice linking code and some client side
filtering of data (if user changes sorting on a list of database results).
While I wasn't necessarily focused on optimization when I wrote this
stuff, it performed significantly better in IBM's JVM. We also did a
simple bubble-sort test with randomized input (same input given to each
JVM per test) which showed similar results between the JVM's we tested.

Because of other issues when we first implemented it
(Windows+StarOffice+Java not playing nice together), we made a rushed
switch to Linux on the desktop. So, the next major revision will probably
be rewritten natively anyway.

---

Back on topic, IBM's jdk/jre require registration, so it may be a little
tricky to create a spell. I'm not too thrilled about having to download it
and place it in /var/spool/sorcery directly. I'll have to give it some
thought. Anyone have any ideas?

Some other things that would be nice: jre only spells and coexisting java
environments (for easy testing of java applications using a variety of
jvms).

-casey