sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MD5sums on spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Eric Sandall" <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MD5sums on spells
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:07:36 -0700 (PDT)

I slightly disagree.

Having automatic updates of versions seems, at first, to ease the load on
grimoire gurus, but what happens when a version breaks things (i.e. db,
gcc, etc.)? This will then add even more problems, especially since
nothing will be tested. Some spells require hard-coding of versions
(kde-*) in their files, yes, we could make special exceptions to these
spells in the scripts, but that's a Bad Thing (TM).

As for e-mailing the gurus with updated versions, all of the gurus are
subscribed to the freshmeat listing for the program (you are, aren't you?
;)) and get e-mails from that, though sometimes it's a bit behind.

I find updating versions to not be too much of a hassle. I update the
version in DETAILS, summon it (to make sure it works), fix anything if
it's broken there, then I cast it. If it casts successfully, I uncompress
the $SOURCE* and do an md5sum on the tarball, then paste that into the
spell. I then make the changes into the repository (p4 or cvs) and
update. Yes, there is a script to automagically change the version and
md5sum, but I like doing it by hand so that I know it is done.

Someone once mentioned that we could have a web-based for to do this, but
all that would do for this problem is move it from the console (or
terminal) to a GUI, you'd still have to find the md5sum and copy it over,
along with typing in your changes.

-One of Four
a.k.a. sandalle

eric AT sandall.us | http://www.sourcemage.org