sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MD5sums on spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MD5sums on spells
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:08:09 -0700

this is an on-going problem. As grimoire wizard i try to go through
sections from time to time checking the md5sums...but if you've tried
checking a whole section for integrity...well...its really boring. I
think that md5sums should be filled in automagically, or something. In
fact the whole version bumping thing should be a lot more automatic. We
ought to have some sort of script that checks every spell in the grimoire
by going to the download site and searching for a higher version number,
then emailing the guru of the new version. Once they bump the version
and check it out, either 1) they can run a script themselves (Dufflebank
has a script that sorta does this) or 2) the central depot/repository
just does it all automatically when it detects a version bump.

Anyways, thats just my idea, md5sum's should be a lot easier to add into
spells, and more of an automatic thing.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 01:35:27AM +1200, Robin wrote:
> Hey there, some spells recently updated don't have the correct MD5's
> (either that or they're all trojaned, but I'm slightly skeptical of
> this). However, something like this needs to be reliable, otherwise it is
> effectivly useless.
>
> The ones I get errors with are:
> busybox
> NVIDIA_GLX
> openssl
> NVIDIA_kernel
> alsa-utils
> fetchmail
> alsa-lib

well alsa-utils and alsa-lib were bumped up (by me) to rc3, and i even
updated the md5sum, because it worked fine. But then someone complained
that it didnt because casting alsa-lib rc3 when you still have alsa-driver
rc2 fails (no surprise there right?). well long story short alsa-libs
got bumped down to rc2, but drivers and utils got left at rc3 (oops). I
(in a huff) dropped the versions back down to rc2 and neglected to
change the md5sums back. So thats the story with those. but anyways,
md5sums are really a pain in the ass to fill out whenever you update a
spell...at least. I (in a huff) dropped the versions back down to rc2
and neglected to change the md5sums back. So thats the story with those.