sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] MD5sums on spells

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] MD5sums on spells
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:49:37 -0700

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:07:36AM -0700, Eric Sandall wrote:
> I slightly disagree.
>
> Having automatic updates of versions seems, at first, to ease the load on
> grimoire gurus, but what happens when a version breaks things (i.e. db,
> gcc, etc.)? This will then add even more problems, especially since
> nothing will be tested. Some spells require hard-coding of versions
> (kde-*) in their files, yes, we could make special exceptions to these
> spells in the scripts, but that's a Bad Thing (TM).

i didnt say completely automatic updates, i said that checking for an
updated version, emailing the guru, then having the guru test it out,
then have a script take care of figuring out the md5sum (as its tedius
and repetitive) would be nice.

> As for e-mailing the gurus with updated versions, all of the gurus are
> subscribed to the freshmeat listing for the program (you are, aren't you?
> ;)) and get e-mails from that, though sometimes it's a bit behind.
>
> I find updating versions to not be too much of a hassle. I update the
> version in DETAILS, summon it (to make sure it works), fix anything if
> it's broken there, then I cast it. If it casts successfully, I uncompress
> the $SOURCE* and do an md5sum on the tarball, then paste that into the
> spell. I then make the changes into the repository (p4 or cvs) and
> update. Yes, there is a script to automagically change the version and
> md5sum, but I like doing it by hand so that I know it is done.

the problem comes from guru's who havent dont that, sure we are all ideal
in theory, but in practice half the kde section had the wrong md5sums,
something broke down there.