sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery spell discussion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery spell discussion
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:16:01 -0400

However stupid that may sound, but aren't all these problems going to go away if `prepare_install' is *not* called in BUILD?

Nick Jennings wrote:

Hi Everyone,
I've been thinking long and hard about the problems we've run into
with the sorcery spell. I don't want to get into the details of these
problems (that's another discussion), but I was thinking of a semi
major change to the sorcery command.

We'd no longer have sorcery be a spell at all. It would be updated
via it's own command line parameter. The various params would be
something line this:

sorcery update : Only updates the sorcery spell, based on which branch you are tracking (set in the sorcery menu).

sorcery system-update : This would do the actions sorcery update currently
does (update grimoire, spells etc.)

sorcery queue : Generates a queue of spells that need to be updated. This could also be system-queue, not
sure.

I'd like to get a discussion going about this, perhaps some better ideas
will come of it (There are things I like about this idea, and things
I don't like).

Thanks.

--
Nick Jennings