sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery spell discussion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jonathan Evraire <evraire AT tuwg.com>
  • To: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery spell discussion
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 20:07:50 +0000 (UTC)

Well my opinion of this, in short, is it's a Good Idea(TM).

I understand why we've wanted to keep it a spell (the whole
"everythings-a-spell idea, version numbering, etc.), but everything we've
been going through recently seems to have been telling us to go in this
direction.

Having sorcery as a spell is like having an app that's an app
and it's data at the same time: the app tries to modify the data which
screws up the app. Let's make a clean cut between the two: sorcery et al.
become the app, and the grimoire is the data.

Then we can build an auto-update feature into sorcery. How is this
different than having sorcery as a spell? Simple: it treats sorcery
differently so it can do things differently, in a more intelligent
way that's specific to sorcery but may not work with other spells.

So again, in summary, I think this is a Good Idea(TM) and I also think
we should try to get this in before 1.0.

My 0.02$ CA :)

Jonathan Evraire
evraire at tuwg.com