sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery spell discussion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Schabell <eschabell AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Nick Jennings <nkj AT namodn.com>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Sorcery spell discussion
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:13:09 +0200

> On Thursday 19 September 2002 21:38, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've been thinking long and hard about the problems we've run into
> with the sorcery spell. I don't want to get into the details of these
> problems (that's another discussion), but I was thinking of a semi
> major change to the sorcery command.
>
> We'd no longer have sorcery be a spell at all. It would be updated
> via it's own command line parameter. The various params would be
> something line this:
>
> sorcery update : Only updates the sorcery spell, based on which
> branch you are tracking (set in the sorcery menu).
>
> sorcery system-update : This would do the actions sorcery update currently
> does (update grimoire, spells etc.)
>
> sorcery queue : Generates a queue of spells that need to be
> updated. This could also be system-queue, not
> sure.

I would tend to agree (to the splitting out of spelldom), except I don't like
the changing of the options.... this has been done already and as it now
stands it remains simple and comprehensible.... lets not take the road that
Gentoo has taken and supplied so many options to make the developers happy
that the users are often lost as to what to do (has been in the news lately).

Remember KISS!

--
Regards,

/*
* Eric Schabell
*
* e-mail: eschabell AT sourcemage.org
* web: http://www.schabell.com
* SourceMage: http://www.sourcemage.org
* irc: irc.openprojects.org (#sourcemage)
* nick: erics
*/