sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] stuck in a rut

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Michael Mikkelsen <mikk AT microbsys.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] stuck in a rut
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:49:27 -0700

Hello,

I'm on my tenth iteration, or so, of this loop:

for (;;) {
1) install
2) sorcery update
3) die during sorcery update (hard lock -- usually during glibc
(loooong
compile; all in ram))
4) sorcery/cast/etc hosed after reboot (spells gone -- from this
point on
sorcery dies during Integrity check of spells)
}

I believe that it's either a) screen blanking wiggin' out by GeForce4 and
causing kernel to lock or b) hard drive going to sleep and not waking up
during long, ram based, compiles.

Does anyone know how to stop either or both of these things? Or have other
ideas? I'm trying to figure out an hdparm command to disable hd sleeping for
now...

still enthusiastic... but having considerably less fun :-(

--
Michael D. Mikkelsen
Micro Business Systems

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity