sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] /proc not mounted at boot

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>
  • To: nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>
  • Cc: Bob Cottingham <bobcottingham AT hotmail.com>, sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] /proc not mounted at boot
  • Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 03:54:02 +0400 (MSD)

It looks like fstab is left alone, only mount.sh is
missing. Also, does a `start' link (S10mount) to
mount.sh need to be in rc1.d/..rc5.d/, or only rcS.d/?
My server somehow got past sorcery update unshattered
(but I didn't try rebooting it yet), and it does have
mount.sh, and three links: two K90... in rc0.d/ and
rc6.d/, and one S10... in rcS.d/. My laptop's mount.sh
was killed altogether with links. I restored mount.sh,
but instead of one link in rcS.d, I put links in
rc1.d/..rc5.d/, following someone else's suggestion on
the list. I can login now, but I still can see the
`/proc' error message at least two times during boot.
I'm going to establish a link in rcS.d/ now, kill other
S10 links, and watch...

nealbirch <nealbirch AT attbi.com>:

> Bob Cottingham wrote:
> > My system was booting fine until several days ago
when I received the
> > error '/proc not mounted.. mounting /proc... fstab
should include line
> > like...'during the boot process and then it just
hangs (message
> > paraphrased from memory). I'm running devel
grimoire, sorcery 8.x (not
> > sure any longer). I had the same problem a week or
so earlier when
> > trying to get cdrecord to work and it overwrote my
fstab, however my
> > fstab file appeared to be fine. Oadae suggested
that I might have a
> > missing mount.sh file, and sure enough I didn't
have one in
> > /etc/init.d. I took the one in the init.d spell
and created the
> > symlinks in rcS.d and so on as he suggested. But I
still received the
> > same error upon boot. Any other suggestions? I'm
at a loss as to what
> > to do.
>
> oh god... That's a mess. nothing should have
overwritten your fstab.
> sounds like a nightmare...
>
> This is what I have. (I have just recovered from a
bad update and am
> looking at the init spell as it's written and will
update it in the days
> ahead. For now, I hope that the attached scripts will
help out.)

> Also attached is a copy of my fstab for guidance:
note well that proc is
> first! The mount.sh script, as I've written it, will
load these in order
> they are listed. I need to switch the bottom 2 lines
around, come to
> think of it.
>
> the init spell as written is incorrect, btw. Typo in
the BUILD file.
> I filed a bugzilla report on it just now.
>

> --
> "You can fool some of the people all of the time
> --and those are the ones you have to concentrate on!"
> GW Bush-- from the N.Y. Times

Sergey Lipnevich, MCSE, SCPJ,
Sr. Software Engineer,
New Age Network New York, Inc.,