sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Submitted Spells - trying to make it work.

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Casey Harkins <charkins AT upl.cs.wisc.edu>
  • To: Tom Garland <tgarland AT email.com>
  • Cc: Ryan Abrams <rabrams AT sourcemage.org>, SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Submitted Spells - trying to make it work.
  • Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:47:39 -0500 (CDT)

The advantage I see to bugzilla is that it makes it very easy for people
to track the status of spells they submit, complete with an autogenerated
e-mail when it is closed. Once all the spells make it in as bugs, they
could be re-opened to handle version bumps. While I don't think this is
the best solution, it certainly will work better than the mailing list and
require less work than maintaining a separate list in the wiki.

I submitted a spell back on July 22 which finally was added today (thanks
Ryan and Eric). I used bugzilla originally, then submitted it twice to
spell-submit, but no one got to it until Ryan brought up that there are
new spells slipping through the cracks. Had I not filed a bug for the
spell, I'm convinced it would have been lost until I submitted to the list
yet again.

I think the ideal solution would be to create our own simple mysql+php
based spell management system, but until that's done I think the bugzilla
route gives us more feedback as to what is being done.

Just my 1.5 cents...

-casey