sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Problems trying to install (long)

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Reapl Paratorn" <reapl AT reapl.net>
  • To: <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Problems trying to install (long)
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 22:35:28 +1000

Hi ppl,

I have been lurking on the lists for quite a while now and have just spent
one of the most frustrating weekends out. Now I first installed SM ages ago
just after the 1/7 Adam test iso went up and had no real problems to speak
of. I havent used it for quite a while (due to work making me do MS.NET
crap) so decided so start from a fresh install and see where things were at.
So this is my experience since Friday night.

The machine I am installing onto is a P4 1.7G, 512MB RAM, 64MB Radeon 7500,
40GB HD (25GB for WinDoze)... (does gcc2 compiles in under 30 minutes, so
much nicer than my old PIII-700 i installed onto last time)

Found 1/7 Adam iso and did install onto system. Install proceded fine. After
base install was done, and setting options) the first thing I did was to run
a sorcery update, and edit out the list so that only sorcery was being
updated. (Dont ask me why i didnt use the menus).

So when sorcery updated is asked me to track stable vs devel and I chose
Stable. Then when I tried to run sorcery update again it wouldnt run. Seems
that the DETAILS file was wanting a shell variable "$SORCERY-BRANCH" that
was set in /etc/sorcery/local/depends/sorcery but never seemed to be sourced
before the DETAILS file was read. I fixed this by just adding a source line
into the DETAILS script at the start, yes a hack but it worked, now
apparently I have sorcery 0.8.0.1

So then I do sorcery update again, and it starts downloading the devel
codex. So is this normal? I didnt answer any option about want to track the
devel codex? Anyway I suppose I am quite happy with that, apart from would
have been nice to be told that the stable sorcery will be using the devel
codex or something to stop ppl like me wondering. User feedback is nice
sometimes.

So, lots has changed, lets just do a full sorcery update, let it run and
come back later when it is finished. Nice thought but it didnt finish. Seems
that if you redo gcc3.1 to gcc3.2 you have to recompile bash otherwise
depending on what the script does it will fail. Does this mean that the bash
spell should have a dependancy on gcc so that it is picked up as needing
recompile that it doesnt have?

But that was quite easy to handle compared to the next one. Now over the
course of 3 more installs testing what package was macking it crash, it
seems there is a problem with e2fsprogs when compiled under gcc3.2 I have
tried with both the original spell as on the Adam Test ISO and also after an
updated cast. Once I cast the e3fsprogs spell my file system would no longer
mount correctly on boot. It would not turn off the read only settings so
init would not occur. I tried using both ext3 and reiser as the file systems
and it still occurred.

Now to check that this was the problem I held the e2fsprogs spell and had no
problems getting a full update safely (apart from the flex spell having
wrong version)

So now I have a running SourceMage system that is all up to date bar
e2fsprogs. But i am loath to do a full rebuild because if a rebuild
recompiles it it will break again. I just got through compiling and
installing xfree86 and have it nicely up and running in 24-bit colour at
1400x1050 native LCD resolution. So...next step kde3 or gnome2..

So I choose KDE3 purely cause I used it last time. So cast kde-profile and
run through answering al lthe questions....then it just stops!!!!....cast
gnome-2-desktop-profile does exactly the same thing....neither of them do
any download of files nor compiling....I'm not on the system so I can't post
the logs of the install. But my other issue was maybe I just entered some
wrong options or something. So I tried doing cast -r -c
gnome-2-desktop-profile, I assumed that this would start the whole process
of asking me all those questions again, but no.....it just skips straight to
the Build step which still doesnt do anything.

So I have a loverly fast loading system that comes up into console quicker
than windows can give me the hardware boot selection options, but I cant get
KDE or Gnome to install????....

So any help in getting KDE/Gnome installed would be good....

And before anyone asks, no I havent put any of the issues in to bugzilla as
I really really wasnt going to do that from lynx and I was too lazy to
transfer any logs before I rebooted back into windows to send this.

Well hope your weekend has been good.

Reapl

  • [SM-Discuss] Problems trying to install (long), Reapl Paratorn, 09/08/2002