sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Delay of Sorcery 0.8

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Ryan Abrams" <rabrams AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: <sm-sorcery AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "Source Mage Discuss" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Delay of Sorcery 0.8
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 22:20:45 -0500

Hey all,

I asked Nick to delay the release of 0.8 until tommorrow night so that we
can finish implementing and testing the sorcery grimoire split.

While this means less fun tonight, it also means that future sorcery updates
should be MUCH simpler to roll out, and that you will be able to choose
between the current "stable" and current cvs branches of sorcery (as in, no
longer waiting for us to roll up releases... live on the edge)

On disadvantage our approach has (and it's a biggie) is that /everyone/ that
is on the devel grimoire will be jumping to sorcery 0.8 when it's released.
this is the /first/ release of a VERY different branch, so bugs will occur.
If you dont want to play with fire, switch to stable or testing for the time
being.

As soon as 0.8 stabilizes, we will move it down and update the
infrastructure accordingly.

The 0.8.x series should see several features added quickly, so mistakes,
bugs, etc will occur. This could be a pain for a lot of you. Just bear with
us. The upside is that we are rapidly moving to 0.9, which is feature
freeze... which means bug fixes and approaching 1.0.

Anyway, Nick was kinda upset that it wasnt going to be released today (as he
promised everyone it would be) - I just wanted to let you all know that it
will be released as soon as the split update code is better polished and
tested... with the plan being tommorrow night. It's not Nick's fault, It's
mine.

In any case, good things come to those who wait.. and in this case, they
will be arriving very very soon. :)

Thanks,

Ryan

  • [SM-Discuss] Delay of Sorcery 0.8, Ryan Abrams, 08/20/2002