sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] summon issues

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Mads Laursen <dossen+sgl AT daimi.au.dk>
  • To: Spencer Ogden <spencero AT mail.utexas.edu>
  • Cc: SM-Discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] summon issues
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 02:53:22 +0200

On 08/08/02 19.07, Spencer Ogden wrote:
> A couple comments to throw in...
>
> I too have seen the animated bar, which is much more compact. I'm not sure
> if it is a http vs. ftp thing, or more likely a known-filesize vs.
> unknown.
>From the wget man page:

--progress=type
Select the type of the progress indicator you wish to
use. Legal indicators are ``dot'' and ``bar''.

The ``bar'' indicator is used by default. It draws an
ASCII progress bar graphics (a.k.a ``thermometer''
display) indicating the status of retrieval. If the
output is not a TTY, the ``dot'' bar will be used by
default.

Use --progress=dot to switch to the ``dot'' display.
It traces the retrieval by printing dots on the
screen, each dot representing a fixed amount of down-
loaded data.

When using the dotted retrieval, you may also set the
style by specifying the type as dot:style. Different
styles assign different meaning to one dot. With the
"default" style each dot represents 1K, there are ten
dots in a cluster and 50 dots in a line. The "binary"
style has a more ``computer''-like orientation---8K
dots, 16-dots clusters and 48 dots per line (which
makes for 384K lines). The "mega" style is suitable
for downloading very large files---each dot represents
64K retrieved, there are eight dots in a cluster, and
48 dots on each line (so each line contains 3M).

Note that you can set the default style using the
"progress" command in .wgetrc. That setting may be
overridden from the command line. The exception is
that, when the output is not a TTY, the ``dot''
progress will be favored over ``bar''. To force the
bar output, use --progress=bar:force.

So there you have it. Add the right option to the calls to wget, or it
will sence whether it has a tty, and act accordingly.

/dossen