sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] fresh install feedback part 1 - pam

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] fresh install feedback part 1 - pam
  • Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 17:08:00 -0700

Hey, I finally got finished with a fresh install of Source Mage on my
new hard drive, and while the installation went fairly smooth, a few
things have popped up. I'm going to do 2 messages so the threads will
be easier to follow.

First, Linux-PAM gave me a few problems, causing me to eventually give
up on it and to dispel it. Specifically, every time I logged in after
casting it, I got a message saying something to the effect of "couldn't
find /etc/securetty". It still logged in fine, but gave a few other
messages which unfortunately I did not save. I did choose to recast all
pam-aware spells (which was just shadow) after casting Linux-PAM. I
checked and indeed the file /etc/securetty did not exist.

I tried creating this file with "touch /etc/securetty", but then I could
no longer log in - even root was supposedly not a valid login. Next I
searched online and found a few old messages on this list mentioning
this problem, as well as some information about pam on LinuxFromScratch.
Their page suggested that the file /etc/securetty be created with 6 lines:
tty1
tty2
tty6
which I did, but this still did not work, so I had to delete the file.
I tried dispelling and recasting both pam and shadow numerous times, but
was unable to get it to work, so I finally gave up on pam. Any ideas
what the problem could have been?

-Ari