sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] fresh install feedback part 1 - pam

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergeyli AT pisem.net>, George Mochrie <geo AT drasil.uklinux.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] fresh install feedback part 1 - pam
  • Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 13:12:52 -0400

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 08:18 pm, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Why didn't you simply remove corresponding module from /etc/pam.d/login
> file?

I don't know - why would I do that? If that is what is supposed to happen,
why is this not documented anywhere? And for that matter, which
"corresponding module" would you be talking about?

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 10:31 pm, George Mochrie wrote:
> the /etc/securetty file lists terminals from which root can login. because
> we have a slightly quirky setup for devices the LFS suggestion won't work.
> here's the contents of my file:
>
> /devices/vc/1
> /devices/vc/2
> /devices/vc/3
> /devices/vc/4
>
> this will allow root to log in from the 1st 4 virtual consoles.

Ahh, now this seems to make some sense - thanks George! I was actually
thinking of doing something similar but was growing impatient of
experimenting and wasn't sure exactly how to do it. We should probably
document this somewhere, no?
Also, anyone have any idea when this problem came about, and what the scope
of
it is? I never had this problem with my original SGL install off a
mid-January iso!

> i have also found that the pam setup for kde seems to have some problems.
> when pam is enabled i cannot authenticate myself as root using kdm or when
> the screen is locked. i renamed /etc/pam.d/kde to /etc/pam.d/kde.old and
> this fixed the problem, although i suspect it's a gaping security hole. if
> anyone knows how to fix this i'd like to know :)

Hmm, I don't know enough about PAM to comment but I'd be very curious to hear
an answer!

Thanks for the help.
-Ari