sm-discuss - RE: [SM-Discuss] Benchmarking Spell?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Reapl Paratorn" <reapl AT reapl.net>
  • To: "'sm-discuss'" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [SM-Discuss] Benchmarking Spell?
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 19:21:27 +1000

My only reason not to use time???...cause I am sick of reading on the lists
people complaining about how one bit uses more time in this user space and
one is system space or whatever. As I said, I don't care about any of this
and it doesnt mean anything to most ppl imho, its just the total 'wall' time
that matters to a lot. I know this can be shown by time but I prefer to get
rid of useless arguements by not using it.

Thats the only reason, whomever writes spell can choose as they see fit as
far as I am concerned.

I will agree that compilation does load a system if the program is none
trivial, but I think there could be a place for standard bencmarking tools
also if we are going to do a spell like this.

Flexibility is the key!!!

Don't know how we could easily make it do the test after a reboot, at least
not until we have standardised the startup/init stuff. Maybe the steps need
to be more like:

- if you find any of the files in the file systems delete them, and don't
allow execution of test on this run.
- if you don't find files, query user to see if they have rebooted
machine to make sure disk caches will also be clean, if they answer yes then
perform test.

Of course there would nice messages to tell ppl what is going on. This two
step process sounds like a real cludge to me, someone else who isnt current
sick with fever can probably come up with something better.

Reapl