sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Benchmarking Spell?

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Reapl Paratorn" <reapl AT reapl.net>
  • To: "'sm-discuss'" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Benchmarking Spell?
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 02:27:05 +1000

Hi ppls,

Forgive me for sounding dumb, but couldnt it be really simple.

Cast a sample benchmarking application
Once successfully cast excute a run of the benchmarking application
Just parse a date command before and after the execution run to get
within a second 'wall' time accuracy.

I for one don't give a iota for the user vs system vs whatever time. I care
about the time in my life it takes to perform the operation.

OK there can be all sorts of arguments over how to choose an appropriate
benchmarking tool and whether to compile with the systems optimisations or
to only use 386 ones if you want.

But surely there are some standard linux benchmarking tools we could choose
and give the user the option of which one to install and run during the
cast?

Now maybe it is the late night, or my use of natural substances...but it
seems this simple to me.

Now atm I don't have the time to make this spell myself, but is it this
simple?

Anyhoo have fun

Reapl