sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Reducing the ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Reducing the ISO
  • Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:21:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Ari Steinberg wrote:

> My instincts are that either/both of these spells belong in
> post-installation (ie keep the source on the cd, but let the user cast them
> only if they want to; don't automatically install them). Maybe when the
> main installation is over, it should print a message saying "you might want
> to do a sorcery update, a sorcery rebuild, and/or cast some of these spells
> now, all of which are included on the cd: lynx/links, linux-pam,
> useful-profile" etc. Or do we already have a message like this (I haven't
> installed SM since January, so I don't know/remember what it looks like
> now).
> Thoughts?
> -Ari

Yes, exactly.

Offer the source on the CD (or a second CD of sources) but do not install
at the initial install.

I will be taking all these suggestions and formating the list I originaly
posted into a breakdown of:

Needed - Boot - Machine wont boot without it.
Needed - Connect - Machine wont connect to the net without, but choices
are possible (PPP, PPPoE, NIC drivers)
Rescue - Binary form on the CD for repairs/service.
Other - Source form on the CD for quick install.
Do Without - Items being installed by current ISO that could wait.

--
Eric Womack
Grimoire Guru - KDE

---