sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Reducing the ISO

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Ari Steinberg <ari.steinberg AT stanford.edu>
  • To: mcowan AT yifan.net, "'sm-discuss '" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Reducing the ISO
  • Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:08:59 -0400

I know that lynx (or links, for that matter) can be extremely useful, especially for the early stages of setting up your box, before X is installed. The question is, should it be installed automatically or should it just be included in the iso and let the user cast it if they want it? Furthermore, are there advantages to lynx over links (which AFAIK does a better job rendering most pages)?
My instincts are that either/both of these spells belong in post-installation (ie keep the source on the cd, but let the user cast them only if they want to; don't automatically install them). Maybe when the main installation is over, it should print a message saying "you might want to do a sorcery update, a sorcery rebuild, and/or cast some of these spells now, all of which are included on the cd: lynx/links, linux-pam, useful-profile" etc. Or do we already have a message like this (I haven't installed SM since January, so I don't know/remember what it looks like now).
Thoughts?
-Ari

At 06:03 PM 7/31/2002 -0400, Miles Cowan wrote:
Without question, lynx was a godsend during the installtion.