sm-discuss - [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 17:50:30 -0700 (PDT)

With all the talk about how resource intensive Source Mage is, and how long
it
takes to compile what with a dual 2GIG and GIG's of RAM, I have elected to
add
to the benchmarks on the opposite side of the spectrum. In order to do this
properly, however, I need some info.

I have successfully gotten through the first part of a Source Mage install on
486DX2-66 with 8M of RAM and a 700M hard drive. This is a laptop machine
that
I intend to turn into a text interface to my main machine via SSH. In the
interest of full disclosure, I had to remove the hard drive and use another
machine to install as I had no way of ataching a CDROM to this machine.

Now, here is where I need the help:

1. Exactly what benchmarking tests are we doing, and how. I think this
should
be posted and followed by everyone. Even if this doesn't settle the "tempfs
vs. harddrive" issue the results would be interesting to collect. In the
end,
we could have a page on the site along the lines of "If you have X hardware,
you can expect package Y to take Z minutes/hours/days to compile". Maybe
even
a (voluntary) way of sorcery doing this automaticaly.

2. In the optimization settings of sorcery, the lowest setting is i586. This
value, of course, is saved in /etc/local/sorcery/config as i586. What all do
need to change to optimize this to a 486? Subroutines and such, or will just
changeing the value suffice?

I look forward to the challenge of this, as well as comments and suggestions.

Please, however, refrain from rants along the lines of "Why would you want to
do something like this?" as this is as much and experiment in possibilities
as
anything else.

---
Eric Womack