sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • To: Eric Womack <eric AT lasvegasdata.com>
  • Cc: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Smallest Source Mage
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 21:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Womack said:

> Now, here is where I need the help:
>
> 1. Exactly what benchmarking tests are we doing, and how. I think this
> should
> be posted and followed by everyone. Even if this doesn't settle the "tempfs
> vs. harddrive" issue the results would be interesting to collect. In the
> end,
> we could have a page on the site along the lines of "If you have X hardware,
> you can expect package Y to take Z minutes/hours/days to compile". Maybe
> even
> a (voluntary) way of sorcery doing this automaticaly.

I don't think there's an actual patch to sorcery to allow it to run
on a hard disk, but if there is, then I'd assume that the practice
should be to set whatever packages your interested in and compile away
with tempfs. After doing so and obtaining a time (peak and average
memory usage would probably be nice as well), then remove all packages,
reboot the computer (One must clear out the cache), and reinstall
accordingly.

> 2. In the optimization settings of sorcery, the lowest setting is i586.
> This
> value, of course, is saved in /etc/local/sorcery/config as i586. What all
> do I
> need to change to optimize this to a 486? Subroutines and such, or will
> just
> changeing the value suffice?

AFK did this not too long ago with his version. He added something
to /etc/sorcery/local/config. Mine looks like this at the moment.

PROMPT_DELAY=150
FIND_CHECK=on
MD5SUM_CHECK=on
LDD_CHECK=on
SYM_CHECK=on
optimize pentium3 speedy risky strip

One could probably adjust pentium3 to i386 or possibly 386. Check
GCC's documentation.

> I look forward to the challenge of this, as well as comments and
> suggestions.
> Please, however, refrain from rants along the lines of "Why would you want
> do something like this?" as this is as much and experiment in possibilities
> as
> anything else.

I welcome it. I intend to pretty much duplicate things when I get
back to local access to my system.
I would suggest against using the compiler cache as that will just
complicate things.
If you've really got a lot of time on your hands, try it with a
couple of different filesystems (XFS, Reiser, and ext3 come to mind.
ext2 and ext3 are so much alike that you could probably try either
one or the other).
Good fortune 8)

-Phil/CERisE