seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Fort Knox- Positive Possibilities???

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Fort Knox- Positive Possibilities???
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:55:28 +0000

Hi Toni and Mollie :),

I thank you both for speaking up :). I agree, all this can be pretty disheartening. I've sung the song so many times that my throat feels scratchy, and it gets *very* tiresome having to repeat myself every time I turn around.

The way I see it, seed banks would be great if they were not serving mostly as targets for acquisition by the next genome-grabbing, legal-patenting GMO ho ho ho, that's the main problem I see with 'em. And the very high probability of GMO contam when they try to grow it all out..

Of course I shall save and cherish the seed of my choosing whether the corp's like it or not.

IMHO we should all be doing that anyway. The farmers know how to keep their seed alive- How much can vault staffers know?

One thing's for sure- They won't be growing those seeds out in frozen Norway.

Matter of fact, I foresee a new and possibly lucrative future for certain farmers or food banks who may wish to contract with the seed vault keepers to grow out the Heirloom seed and keep it viable.

I'd like to see a committed Organic vault. I'd like to see a BD vault. I mean in *our own hands*, of course..

Linda

-------------- Original message from tonitime@juno.com: --------------

Mollie,
    Thanks..i am with you on this one!   Truly, since this topic hit the news, and all the grower's groups i enjoy, i am getting quite sick of all the cynicism and negativity that is in abundance over it _REALLY getting sick of it_ :-o
There is SO much negativity surrounding everything in the news of late - it makes me wonder if some cosmic predisposition toward funky attitudes is going on.    Such negativity is a cancer on any society, in my little opinion. Geesh, world.....get a grip. Happy 29th to those that will have it!
Toni - a rare optimist in KY.

-Mollie said
The positive side, in my belief: the more methods we can come up with for preserving biodiversity during the growing climate changes we humans have caused, the better.

Thanks for letting me put in my two cents. :)
Happy February 29th!